Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stir Fried Ginger Shrimp

I am back! I can't believe it has been two weeks since my last post. I have been super busy, mostly with my two little ones. By the time I have some free time to sit down and blog, I am so exhausted that I just want to be horizontal on the couch watching some mindless reality TV. I have so many things to get on this blog, but let's first start with this shrimp recipe that I made. I found this recipe in the latest Cooking Light magazine. It was so easy and quick. I changed up a couple of things, because that's just what I do. For example, I didn't use celery and instead I added sliced zucchini. I also used 2 tbsp of mirin instead of the 1 tbsp that the recipe calls for. Mirin may be hard for some of you to find. It is a sweet Japanese rice wine. I get it at a very large Asian super market near here.


Stir Fried Ginger Shrimp
Yield
4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)


Ingredients
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of white pepper
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine) --I used 2 tbsp
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diagonally cut celery (I used zucchini)


Preparation
1. Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with ginger, salt, and pepper; toss well. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Combine 1/2 cup water and next 6 ingredients (through chile paste) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp mixture to pan; stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove shrimp mixture from pan; set aside. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. Add celery; stir-fry 1 minute. Return shrimp mixture to pan; stir-fry 1 minute or until shrimp are done.
4. Add water mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
Calories:
192 (31% from fat)
Fat: 6.7g (sat 0.8g,mono 2.9g,poly 2.3g)
Protein: 23.8g
Carbohydrate: 7.2g
Fiber: 0.8g
Cholesterol: 172mg
Iron: 3mg
Sodium: 594mg
Calcium: 82mg
Charlene Dy, Vancouver, British Columbia, Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2008

1 comment:

The Gallagher's said...

YUM! U cannot wait to make this!!

xoxo

jennifer